Book Club Questions for Wings an historical women’s fiction novel about the Woman Airforce Service Pilots of World War II.
NOTE: These questions contain spoilers about WINGS and are intended for discussion among readers who have finished the novel.
- Did you picture a man or a woman relaying the story as you read the narration of WINGS?
- How do you think Liddy’s childhood contributed to her daredevil nature? How did her nature change over the course of the story?
- Do you think Liddy would have applied to the WASP if it hadn’t been for her father? Why or why not?
- How do you think Liddy’s life would have been different if she hadn’t left Holly Grove to train for the WASP?
- Why do you think Louise was the first of the baymates that Liddy really trusted?
- Liddy was pink slipped for doing acrobatics on her first ride with Gant and for leaving her squadron to lead the Navy flyers away when Bet lost her shirt. Did you think Liddy was being careless when she got her pink slips or did you think that her actions were justified?
- “… [I]n time life levels and settles and if you wait, something will bloom—it always does.” Do you agree with this quote from the book? Why or why not?
- Did you think Liddy was going to get her wings? Why or why not?
- One of the themes in WINGS is about believing in yourself. In what ways did Liddy and the other characters grow to believe in themselves?
- Did you like reading about the characters lives after the WASP program was disbanded?
- After the program was disbanded, did any of the character’s choices surprise you?
- Even though the WASP program was disbanded, how do you think it changed the culture for women?
- Do you think Liddy made the right choice to end her relationship with Alan Bradon so she could be with Reid? Why or why not?
- Had you ever heard of the Women Airforce Service Pilots before reading the book? If yes, did you learn anything new?
- “Choosing to love, that’s important, but loving anything or anyone without making the choice, that’s divine.” Do you agree with this quote from the book?
- Did you have a favorite character? If so, why was this character your favorite?
- Do you think the risks the women took while training and then flying for the program were worthwhile?
- “That which willed their hearts to soar would float them free…” What do you think this quote from the book is insinuating makes a heart free?
- Movie time: If (When J) WINGS is made into a film, who would you like to see play what part?
- Who do you think left the gift of the watch in Liddy’s car before she left for the WASP training in Texas?
- When Liddy met Betsy (Bet) Bailey on the train, the two women became fast friends. Do you think Liddy would have struck up a friendship with any of the WASP trainees if they had been on the train that day? What do you think drew Liddy and Bet to one another?
- Did your feelings change about any of the characters from the beginning to the end of the story?
Comments are closed.